Wednesday 2 July 2014

Freebies & boot fair goodies.

Myself and hubby have been busy bee's this last few weeks finishing off the last of the rooms that needed decorating ready for carpets to go down, first to be finished was the dining room, it feels lovely to finally get this room done as since we moved into the house over a year ago the room as been used as an indoor shed, although now the carpet is down and curtains up etc etc, the room felt very bare with just a dining table in it so I was on a mission to try and furnish it as cheap as possible.

Last year my sister gave my son a lovely fish tank, the plan was to always have it in the dining room once it was decorated, but first I needed something to stand it on,  upon browsing through the freebie sites on F@cebook I came across this picture

It does look a sorry state doesn't it?? I kindly asked the lady if I could have it and she said yes! Within an hour I had my husband driving to Folkestone to collect it whilst I waited at home sorting the sugar soap, sander and undercoat out, ready to give it a makeover, upon his return I was pleasantly surprised by the size of it, the photograph the lady posted of it made it look quiet small so I was delighted to find it was quiet a big old piece which would be ideal for accommodating the fishtank

Anyhow, within 24hrs I had turned it into this... Now just got to get the mirror up on the wall and set the tank up.

Looks much better although the photo does make the doors look like they have a dark tinge to them, must be the light.

Must admit I am very pleased with it and it will go alongside this other piece of furniture I picked up for the dining room from a friend who was going to throw it out!

 Here's after  a few coats of paint and a few new knobs... I spent a grand total of £15.98 for paint & knobs... not bad for 2 pieces of furniture!

Sunday I went off to the boot fair and picked up this original painting for £1, the frame was dark brown ... that had to go! so out came my tester pots of paint - I chose vintage green as I thought it went well with the colours in the actual painting.

This cute vintage tin for 50p

My son saw this on a stall and took a shine to it at 20p how could I refuse it? it brightens up my kitchen window.

I adore this 1950's bird, another bargain at £1 he sits just nicely between my vintage plates above the spice rack

A nice Cath Kidston style milk jug & sugar pot set, ... £1.50 brand new!

 Its nearly that time a year again where I'll be busy  in the kitchen making lots of jam's & chutneys to fill the pantry up with, so these 2 books will come in handy, and at 50p & 75p I think they were a good buy.

 A cute floral stock pot £1 ...its not very big but it will do for one pot meals
 A brand new flask with the label from Dotcom giftshop... £1.50, this will be fab for those autumn days when I'm stood watching my son at football practice, I can now have a warm cuppa whist watching.
and lastly these lovely enamel candle holders, which my lovely friend gave to me, Not found a place for them yet although I may save them for when we have completed the bath room and pop them on display in there.



No comments:

Post a Comment