Saturday 22 March 2014

Beef cobbler


Last year I was reminiscing about school dinners, one of my all time favs used to be beef cobbler, anyhow whilst having one of my weekly chats to my sister on the telephone I mentioned about beef cobbler and how I'd like to make one, well she had just bought this fantastic  mince beef recipe book which had a beef cobbler recipe  in it, she read the recipe down the phone, I wrote it on a scrap of paper, stuck it in my book with the intention of making it for our tea one day, well a week later I had a parcel arrive which was a copy of the book! my lovely sister had gone out and bought me my very own copy!


It is an absolute must for any of you mince lovers out there, it is especially good for people who like to cook on a budget as mince is one of the cheapest most filling dishes going.


Here is my Beef cobbler all made ready for this evenings dinner

500g Mince beef
500g onions
1 bay leaf
1tsp Thyme
2Tbsp Tomato ketchup
300ml beef stock

Cobbler topping
225g self raising flour
0.5tsp mustard
pinch of salt
40g butter
85g Cheese
milk for glazing


1, preheat oven to 180c/ gas mark 4
add the beef to a pan and heat until evenly browned

2, Spoon the beef into a casserole dish, add the onions (chopped into quarters), tomato ketchup, thyme, bay leaf and season, pour in the stock, cover and stick it in the oven for 1hr

3, Whilst that is cooking crack on with the cobbler, sift the flour and salt, add the butter and rub in till it looks like breadcrumbs, stir in the cheese and mustard and enough water to form a soft dough

4, Roll out the dough to the thickness of 1cm on a lightly floured surface and cut out rounds with a 6cm cutter

4, Remove the casserole from the oven and discard the bay leaf, cover the mixture in the dough rounds , brush with milk and put in the oven for 30mins.

Hope it takes as good as it smells and looks :)








No comments:

Post a Comment